Friday, September 12, 2008

Building Our Own Tower of Babel

by Chloe

Sometimes as I pass through the motions of everyday life, I hear God trying to tell me something. Something big, something profound, something to which I should pay attention. Something to ponder, something to record. For what purpose? That is not always clear in the moment. It is enough to recognize the instruction and to be compelled to obey.

A few days ago I had one of these moments while driving on I-565 past the Space and Rocket Center. It was a moment where I felt that God revealed a profound truth to me ... one of those "light bulb" moments. In an instant, I saw something clearly that I had not realized before. I knew I needed to ponder it, listening for what else might be revealed. I tried to make a mental note to come back to later, when I had time. But later I could not remember, and I felt a profound sense of loss, that somehow carelessly I had discarded something very precious.

How intimately God knows our human frailties! I should not be surprised that He is patient and would simply instruct me again, in much the same way that I repeat myself over and over to my two-year old. So yesterday as I drove down I-565, I heard Him again. Then as I found myself awake in bed this morning in the wee hours, I knew it was time to ponder and write. All is provided ... a quiet house, sleeping children ... and so I meditate on what I heard in the shadow of the towering Saturn V rocket.

Your people in this time are no different than those of old. You squander precious time and resources building your own Tower of Babel. You do this INSTEAD of doing what I have instructed. I created you, I know what you need to have a good life in your time on earth: physically, mentally, spiritually. I have clearly told you what to do. But your people instead neglect the work I have designed you for and pursue your own agenda. You think your way is better than Mine. You dare to believe that you can improve upon My design! You are as stiff-necked a generation as I have ever seen! Rebellious as the Israelites, proud as the Pharisees. You stand in a time where your knowledge of history is unparalleled, yet instead of learning from it you are doomed to repeat it.

[Read the rest here...]

1 comment:

  1. Chloe,
    Thanks for sharing your insights. They are wonderful food for thought and for prayer...

    ReplyDelete