Monday, November 20, 2006

Fear of Death by Kathleen

In reading Hebrews this week, I was struck by our fear of death. Satan intended to use our fear of death for evil. In Christ we should have no fear of death – but I admit I still do.

Maybe death will be like standing on the edge of a swimming pool. It’s foggy and I can’t see the water. I’m pretty sure I will like swimming. I’ve heard wonderful accounts from a reliable witness who has jumped in before me. But I am still standing on the edge of the pool, the only existence I know about. It’s a lovely place to be waiting before I jump. After all, it was created by the same lifeguard who is calling for me to join him in the water.

The lifeguard tells me not to fear. “Come on in, the water’s fine! I’ve stood where you are now, but this is so much better! So divinely refreshing! Family and friends are swimming around in here too. You can hear my voice, so you know I’m right here to catch you when you’re ready. So, don’t be afraid.”

One day, the lifeguard will call and I’ll make that jump. Will I feel fear or feel a grand anticipation? Probably a little of both.

But I will make the jump because I trust the lifeguard.

Kathleen Lowery

No comments:

Post a Comment