Friday, December 07, 2007

Who's Your David?

Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul. Psalm 25:1

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you. Psalm 63:1

David, did you know that we, thousands of songs later, would still be singing your songs? …to praise with you? …to cry with you? …to thank with you?

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. Psalm 20:7

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Psalm 31:1

David, did you know that we, thousands of years later, would still be reading your words? ...to voice our thoughts? …to confess our sins? …to brag on our God?

Sometimes words come hard. It’s not always easy to verbalize what we’re thinking or feeling.

But when we open the Psalms, and read the words of David, Solomon, Asaph, Ethan, and yes, even Moses (Psalm 90), the words we fumble for pour out. They utter the intimacies that we feel, but struggle to articulate.

If all I had was one last breath
I’d spend it just to sing Your praise
Just to say Your name


But these are not words of David. Do we still have “Davids” today? While not inspired by the Spirit in the same manner as David, don’t we still hear voices to help us express the same thoughts to the Father?

If all I had was one last prayer
I'd pray it 'cause I know You're always listening

If all I had was one more song to sing
I would raise my voice to make the heavens ring

Who is your David? Toby and Aaron? Max and Beth? Britt and Mandisa? Ken and Brandon?

None replace David in breathing out God’s messages. But others can help speak for us when we can’t speak for ourselves.

'Cause I know You're there,
I know You see me

You're the air I breathe
You are the ground beneath me

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

~ Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment