Friday, April 04, 2008

DAVID: Overcome Your Limitations (Excerpts from the Giants)

Even after being anointed as the next king of Israel, David still had to wait many years for many things to come to pass before taking over the throne.

1. What in your life are you currently waiting for? Is it easy or hard to wait patiently for this?


* For a number of years I have been waiting on my husband to be added to the Lord's Church…A few years ago I realized all I could do was try to be a good wife as well as set a good example. I had to turn it all over to the Master. I am patiently waiting and of course praying.

* While I have some things we are hoping to do in our future, I don't feel as though I am 'waiting on them.' We eventually would like to return to the mission field in a foreign country, but I am happy here too looking for people to share my faith with or study with.

* I am waiting for God to change me into a really nice person, and one who doesn’t worry about anything. :-) Sometimes I am patient; sometimes I am not, for those things and more. When I see things through “eternity” eyes, I am more patient. Other times I can only think about getting through one day at a time anyway.

* I'm also waiting on God for "character" type things—waiting for him to change me. Or to change those around me. :-) And patience is hard.

* While we are waiting for all the things that distract us to happen: the happily ever afters, explosions, escapes, escapades, and seasons of this existence, ever wonder what God is waiting for?

...His longsuffering (good KJV word), says scripture, is for our good because he wants all of us to have the best. He must occasionally wonder: What we are waiting for?

* I am waiting for, or looking forward to, my family maturing in their faith. I have truly seen so much growth in them and yet they are babes in Christ and we know Satan is always roaming around preying on the weak. I’m weak sometimes too so I pray for God to send others to help them as well. God has definitely brought us to the right church family.

…I would like God to just speak all these changes into existence, though the truth is that I don't know what God has in store for me. I also know I must be actively seeking to improve myself, supporting my family in their spiritual growth, and improving other aspects of my life while praying for God to guide the outcomes. I'm enjoying waiting to see what God has planned for the story of my and my family's lives.

* I don't have a "wait" list. I'm not sure what that says about me. :+) Hopefully that means I have just turned it over to God and his timing, but more likely means that I haven't recognized in my heart what I am waiting for except the coming of Christ.

* I am waiting for ??? I am not sure what I am waiting for, perhaps God's guidance as to what HE wants me to do next.

* I enjoy just sitting back and letting God direct me. (Sometimes I am not good at His directions though.)

2. David had to rely on his faith in what God could do. When have you really had to rely on your faith?

* I need to rely on my faith all the time, but to my shame I sometimes rely on Me, a poor substitute. I have raised children and buried my parents. …When I lost my parents, my faith was a crucial sustainer as well as people of faith who knew me. Now, I find myself relying on faith as the grandchildren arrive and grow, the church changes, and life changes.

* The last 20 to 25 years of my life has brought many events that were catalysts to bring my reliance on faith to a new level, or renewed my faith. It is sad to say but most often the events that brought me closer to God were traumatic, painful, and/or scary.

...These events I view as the trials and tribulations we are to consider pure joy (James 1:1-3) because it helps us develop the strength to hold on another day.

* I am having to rely on my faith with a daughter in college. I have to trust that the Lord is taking care of her and is giving her guidance that she needs, and all I can do is give advice now and again and watch from the sidelines as she makes her own decisions. And pray!

* I had to really rely on my faith the years I homeschooled my kids. Now I have to rely on my faith that God will take care of them while they are in school.

* I have had health issues to deal with and those have been hard. Losing my mom was really hard. But, some of the hardest times was when I think I wronged someone. If I thought for a moment I had made someone stumble for having not put forth Christ in the relationship, that deeply bothers me until I have gone to that person and made things right.

* One of the hardest times for me was when my daddy died. All that weekend though, I was at peace and knew that God was in control. I also knew where my daddy was going! At the present time it's making sure that my mother is taken care of.

* When my daughter started dating, it really tested my faith to turn those worries over to God. He was faithful, and I am thankful. The other testing time was during my husband’s health trouble, but I never remember feeling anxious or worried beyond what I consider normal. I felt very comforted and strengthened that God was in total control of the outcome, whatever it was to be.

* Currently I am having to rely on my faith in caring for my mother, while trying to not diminish caring for other personal and church family members. I have seen God's hand in my life in the past and I pray daily for guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment