Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Man After God’s Own Heart

When Samuel told Saul he was being replaced, he stated “the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” (1 Samuel 13:14)

I’ve often wondered what it was to have a heart like God’s. What does that mean?

Was it his great courage and fearlessness in facing the giant, Goliath? (1 Samuel 17)
Was it a childlike wonder which caused him to dance “before the Lord with all his might” when the ark was finally brought to Jerusalem? (2 Samuel 6:14)
Was it his kindness and loyalty toward his friends, especially Jonathan and his family? “But show me unfailing kindness like that of the Lord as long as I live, so that I may not be killed, and do not ever cut off your kindness from my family—not even when the Lord has cut off every one of David’s enemies from the face of the earth.” (1 Samuel 20:14–15)

Was it his faithfulness to God that stayed his hand when he could have taken Saul’s life? (1 Samuel 24:5–7)
Was it his submission to God when he prayed, “How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears.” (2 Samuel 7:22).

But the days of praise and blessings would soon be over.

These examples of David’s character were pre-Bathsheba. It’s not that he wasn’t forgiven. It’s not that God didn’t keep His promises, but David’s professional and personal life both went downhill from that point.

Was he still a man after God’s own heart? I think that his Psalms and songs testify on his behalf. “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior….” (2 Samuel 22:2–4)

He knew that a pagan (Goliath) shouldn’t be allowed to defy God, no matter how big he was. He knew how to celebrate and honor God. (2 Samuel 6:21–22) He knew it was right to show kindness to his friend’s family. He knew that Saul was God’s anointed and did not dare to raise a hand against him. He knew how to truly repent and meant it when he said simply, “I have sinned against the Lord.” (2 Samuel 12:13)

--Brenda W.

No comments:

Post a Comment