Thursday, October 04, 2007

The Good Stuff


Lately, I've been dismantling a barn...
It's an old thing - about 80 years -
made partly even of chestnut wood,
the ancient trees that all died of blight in the 20s.
It's done it's job, and does it still,
but is no longer needed, and stands where a road must go.
Those that used, needed, and cared for it are all gone now, and the roof eves have let in the rain.
The damp has rotted the floors there, and some rafters sag.

But I get to see what is still solid,
what can be used in other ways, and in other structures.
And here is what I find:
Those who built it used the good stuff.
Cedar posts rise straight from the soil - still solid, still smelling good, still supporting the whole.
Red oak floors - layered deep with corn coverings - still solid as stone.
And the chestnut siding - gray from sun and rain - still beautiful, strong and glorious!

All this barn time has, of course, got me thinking:
have I been building with the good stuff, things like faith, hope and love?
I've got, perhaps, a few years left,
but some weaker parts already need replacing - some coverings need nailing down a little tighter.
Maybe if I can just keep the roof on, and use only good materials, my usefulness will live on, even when this structure is gone.
Yeah, I need to use the good stuff...

--by Ed G. from Wednesday's class, October 3

No comments:

Post a Comment