Friday, October 19, 2007

Part II: Above It All...

Text: 2 Samuel 11:3

The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "Isn't this Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?" Then David sent messengers to get her.

David sees and wants. And he doesn’t even try to hide it as he sends a servant to fetch her.

It’s almost as if he is saying …

“I’m the King, for goodness’ sake! Naturally, I get whatever I want.”

Let’s face it, he’s had great successes.
The people adore him.
He united the Kingdom of Israel for the first time. He’s confronted and defeated many foreign enemies. He has a LOT to be proud of. But …

“When pride comes, then comes disgrace…the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.” Proverbs 11:2-3

“Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” Proverbs 16:18

“So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall!” 1 Corinthians 10:12

~ Do I think I deserve certain things because of my past successes?
Do I think that I am above sin? ~

--from Wednesday's Class, Oct. 17

No comments:

Post a Comment