Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Part VII: What's My Reaction?

So we’ve seen that David was a man who was battling Idleness, succumbing to Pride and Lust, and treating Others as Objects. It’s easy to then ask, “So how can this guy be called ‘a man after God’s own heart’?” But if that is all I take away from these events, then I am left wanting.

Are these stories just intellectual fodder to dissect? Do you realize there are myriads of “Biblical Scholars” who aren’t believers? So how are we to be different? What can we learn from this story?

Consider these other passages …

Luke 13:5
"…But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

Rev 9:20
"The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands…."

So what is our reaction supposed to be when we see bad things happen to others? Ask interesting academic questions to fill up an hour of Bible study? Did you see a pattern in those passages?

There’s one response that is always appropriate …
Repent!

“But that happened to David” … Repent!
“But I don’t struggle with Lust” … Repent!
“I can’t believe how he could do that” … Repent!
“That disgusts me” … Repent!

So, when Nathan says
“You are the Man”
we must read that as …
“I AM THE MAN”

And we must all … Repent!

--from Wednesday's class, Oct. 17

No comments:

Post a Comment