Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A small thing.

He is so sick; his skin looks awful. I wish I could do something. Why am I thinking like that? He killed my family and brought me here.

His wife is good to me and I like doing things for her. His illness must sadden her. I wonder if she would listen?

They have the weirdest ideas about ‘god.’ ‘Rimmon’, they call him and ‘Hadad’. They claim he is the god of storms. He goes into that temple with the king to worship the silent, still ‘god’ made by men. Why would he listen about some other god? Why would he care about YHWH?

I dare not try and talk to him, he is too important and too busy. He talks to his king all the time about war and fighting and political things. He is too important for me to bother. Perhaps, if I tell his wife she will tell him. But what good would that do? Why would she listen to a girl, and a foreigner at that? Slaves, like children, are to be seen, not heard. And why would he listen to her anyway? She is just a woman.

Why am I even thinking like this? It is none of my concern. What is the tug I feel in my heart? What can I do anyway? Why am I having trouble sleeping – waking up thinking of him and his illness?

It would be just a small thing, just a short suggestion. I guess this will never leave me alone unless I tell her. Who knows; she may just ignore me?

What words can I use? How can I say it quickly and convincingly?
“If only my master were with the prophet who is in Samaria! For he would heal him of his leprosy.”
Where did those words come from? They are perfect! Short and to the point. Somehow, I really believe he will be cured. Where did I get that idea? Before I was brought here, I remember seeing many people with this illness but none of them were cured by the prophet. Still, I really believe my master will be cured.

She listened to me, and she told him! My very words! Well, not really my words, but words that came into my head. He told the king!

He is going!

He is back and he is cured! He looks so healthy. His skin looks better than mine – so clear and clean. My mistress is smiling like she never has before. She even smiled at me.

He is telling her about the muddy little river and about deciding to swallow his pride and walk into the water. What did he tell her? It sounded like, “Indeed, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel.” What did he say about the dirt in the mules’ packs? I couldn’t hear that.

His servants are excited and nervous. They said something about him promising to worship YHWH. Will there be two of us now?

He has called for me! I am to tell him about YHWH.

A small thing?

Really?

~ Posted by Ed Ditto

No comments:

Post a Comment