Thursday, July 10, 2008

What is God singing? (and other random thoughts in the night)

It’s 3:13 a.m.
It’s dark.
And I’m wide awake.

My mind bounces. Barrion’s provoking questions from class last night continue to demand answers. Why do I study the Bible? Why don’t I study the Bible? Wish I had heard Clyde sing his solo in class last week:
“No one ever cared for me like Jesus;
There's no other friend so kind as He.
No one else could take the sin and darkness from me;
O how much He cared for me.”

I sing words in my head from last night’s 6:30 medley:
“...whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You”
“...find rest my soul in God alone
“...to find our way in the darkest night, let Your light shine on us”

Stuart changed the words on You Are My Hiding Place to better reflect the scripture: “You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with songs of deliverance. ” ~ Psalm 32:7

So God is singing over me? Surrounding me with HIS songs?

I keeping hearing voice after voice. The teens: Adam working hard for Jesus in New Orleans. Stories of Cody knowing how to paint. Serving; growing; worshiping. Memories from Long Beach, MS: Charlene Tate singing Had It Not Been the Lord“the water would have engulfed us.”

“The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.”
~ Zephaniah 3:17

C.S. Lewis had Aslan sing Narnia into existence. But what does God’s singing voice sound like? A deep bass like James Earl Jones? Or maybe Jim Carrey (please, no)?

It’s 4:23 a.m.
Still dark.
Still awake.

Thoughts still flit. Will I ever go back to sleep? Will it rain tomorrow—oops, I mean, today? The e-mail from my sister: her friend visited Central on the 5th Sunday Family Night, and loved our singing and scripture sharing.

I hear His voice mingled amidst all these. But I’m listening for a solitary voice. And it’s not my own. It’s His. I want to hear His alone.

So just from Him, just to me, He sings me back to sleep this morning, with:
“I have called you by name, you are mine.”
~ Isaiah 43:1

He continues,
“I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”
~ Isaiah 43:3

And more,
“You are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you.”
~ Isaiah 43:4

There is no sweeter sound than God singing over me.

It’s 5:28 a.m.
It’s light.
And I’m at rest.

--Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa.

    You got me started thinking.

    Praying for you,

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa, What have you heard God singing in the months since you posted your question? I love knowing God is singing to me. DonnaB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the question, Donna. God's songs are the most beautiful, aren't they? I posted a reply here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Just like Him to speak in the silence!

    ReplyDelete