Monday, September 04, 2006

From g

I shared this a few years ago in the Summer series we did on worship. It's still my favorite story. So for those who haven't heard it . . . and hopefully those who have will enjoy hearing it again.

Walter Franklin and I were workout partners back about 5 or 6 years ago. There were lots of improvements in strength and stamina and overall health and well-being during that time -- the main reasons you work out -- but there were also points of sharing and spiritual growth that come from spending time together on a consistent basis.

That this was going to be a special time was obvious from the very first workout. Moreso, as it ended. We were back in the showers getting cleaned up and ready for a workday, when I simply said to Walter, "Sing something." Without hesitation Walter broke into "Said I wasn't gonna tell anybody . . ." which started a morning ritual we carried on for the next two years until work schedules changed our workout plans and we moved on to different gyms / different routines. No matter who else might be back there getting cleaned up at the same time, we just kept singing.

Paul and Silas singing in prison and David dancing in his underwear are often discussed when speaking of worship. I'm glad I've got my own story now of me and Walter singing in the showers at the old PowerHouse Gym that used to be in Madison. Our bodies were getting cleansed from an intense workout, but moreso we made sure our souls were being prepared for the day as well.

g

No comments:

Post a Comment