Friday, November 09, 2007

Chapter 2: Rich Man/Richer Widow

Story, Luke 12, Mark 12:

Bigger Barns
Once upon a time, there was a certain rich man. Very rich. So rich, the numbers of his grain were larger than the numbers of his barns.

But instead of being rich toward God, he built more barns for himself. “I will relax. I will eat, drink and be merry.”

But on the very night of his calculations, God demanded his life.

No more counting riches for him!

Widow’s Two Mites
Once upon a time, there was a poor widow. Her coins were easy to count: 1, 2.

But instead of hoarding, one morning she donated both of her small copper coins into the temple treasury box.

The very important God-Man witnessed her actions. He was so pleased with her disregard for numbers and for her trust in God’s care that he told his followers that her contribution added up to more than the large sums of the rich people’s offerings.

Question:
How much time do I spend worrying about money—getting it…keeping it…spending it…getting more? Am I trusting my money to take care of me and make me happy more than I’m trusting God to do so?

Answer:
* I brought nothing into the world, and I can take nothing out of it. If I have food and clothing, I will be content with that. 1 Timothy 6:7,8
* I will not put my hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but I will put my hope in God who richly provides me with everything to enjoy. 1 Timothy 6:17
* I will seek first his kingdom and righteousness, then all the things I eat and drink and wear will be given to me also. Matthew 6:31,33
* My God will meet all my needs through his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
* His divine power has given me everything I need for life and godliness. 2 Peter 1:3

Moral:
All needs are met in God.

--from Wednesday's class, Nov. 7

No comments:

Post a Comment