Monday, November 19, 2007

How to Slay a Giant

We all want the faith of Peter and David, right? To know for certain that when it counts, we’ll come through for God.

But do I have to wait for another stormy night on the Sea of Galilee?
Or go find a 9 foot tall soldier profaning the Holy LORD?

“One who is faithful in very little is also faithful in much …" ~Luke 16:10

How am I being asked to be faithful in the here and now? Are there things God wants me to be and do that are unnatural?” Is He preparing me to accomplish the impossible with Him one day? To overcome a force that seems invincible to me right now?

* if someone hits you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also ~ Matt 5:39
* consider others better than yourself ~ Phil 2:3
* I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties – for when I am weak, then I am strong ~ 2 Cor 12:10
* pray continually ~ 1 Thess 5:17
* whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant ~ Matt 20:26
* forgive those who sin against you ~ Matt 6:12
* rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ ~ I Pet 4:13
* if someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles ~ Matt 5:41
* accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters ~ Rom 14:1
* the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him ~ Rom 14:3
* it is for freedom that Christ has set us free… to become slaves to God ~ Gal 5:1, Rom 6:22
* give, pray, fast in secret … then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you ~ Matt 6:4,6,18
* fix your eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen ~ 2 Cor 4:18
* love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you ~ Matt 5:44
* do not become gossips and busybodies, saying things you shouldn’t ~ I Tim 5:13
* do everything without complaining or arguing ~ Phil 2:14
* lay down your life for your brothers ~ I John 3:16
* love keeps no record of wrongs ~ I Cor 13:5
* to live is Christ and to die is gain ~ Phil 1:21

Yes …Just a few things that aren’t natural - that don’t make sense.

Is this what Jesus meant when he said, “anyone who has faith in me will do greater things” than he did?

Is this how we walk on water?
How we slay giants?

It’s almost foolish to think so …

--from Wednesday's class, Nov. 14

No comments:

Post a Comment