Tuesday, March 11, 2008

JOSEPH: Don't Give Up on Your Dreams (Excerpts from the Giants)

Joseph had several down periods in his life, but he held on to his convictions even during the difficult times that didn't make sense.

1. When have you been glad that you didn’t give up too easily when things were going wrong or you didn’t understand what was happening to you?

* A few years ago I was in ICU, not expected to live. A nurse whispered to me one night, "It's ok to let go." …Although I understood her reason for telling me it was ok to let go, I equated it to quitting, and that for me has never been an option. I'm sure there were times when Joseph, Noah, Esther and the other Giants wanted to quit. Still, they put their trust in God. I'm learning to do the same.

* Not giving up on the church which has been in upheaval more than once since I became a Christian. I kept my eyes on Christ and company with others who did the same.
Not giving up on riding the roller coaster of parenting through the teen and adolescent years.
Not giving up on Bible study and prayer even if I can't be as consistent as I would like.
Not giving up is daily for those of us who follow Christ.

* Finding God was my dream come true and my hope. I thank God for not 'quitting' his search for me and rescuing me from the burden of those influences.

* Life is full of times when you might have to change directions but NEVER give up your devotion and loyalty to God. He is with you through the blackest of times.

* I'm so thankful God wouldn't let go. He sent people to help me. He was faithful. He carried me. I love Him.

2. Joseph grew even in the down times. How have you done that?

* I have had many 'growing' times that have been brought about by the 'down' times of dealing with my own sin. The big lesson that I think I'm learning (still!) is that God really is with me through it all.

* Both Joseph and Esther are inspirational examples of how God's time is not our time and how what seems unusable to us can be valuable in God's plan.

* It is very much the way God works in our lives—sometimes it is many years before we see his plans completely unfold and see the purposes in the pain we have suffered... and we can see that he didn't give up on us.

1 comment: