Tuesday, March 04, 2008

NOAH: One Person Can Make a Difference (Excerpts from the Giants)

Several of our ladies are studying Old Testament giants of the faith as an on-line reading group. Remembering Noah’s story of doing the right thing in the midst of a faithless culture brought out these comments below. May you be encouraged by reading excerpts from our very own giants of the faith at Central:

1. What or who helps you to do right when those around you are doing wrong?

* Remembering how miserable I was when I was not doing right or following Christ. I remind myself of what Christ saved me from and how much I love Him.

* I think of God and how repulsive sin is to Him. I think of Jesus and His sacrifice and how disappointed he is when I fall short. I think of the Spirit in me that is hurt when I sin.

* I think about my kids when I am tempted to mess up in a big way and how my actions will affect them... that usually helps me choose right.

* Reading my Bible and being thankful in prayer helps me remember Jesus' love. Christ's love compels us, but not if we forget.

2. What reminders do you have of God’s faithfulness to you?

* Family, friends, material blessings, wedding rings, shells, rocks, smiles, flowers, singing at church, shooting stars, in-laws, sunrises, the ocean, …

* A picture I have of my great aunt impressed me when I was about 8 years old, and we shared a motel room. In her 70's by then, she knelt as was her habit by the bed and prayed before we turned out the light. I don't remember what she said, but I've never forgotten that she was faithful and without timidity in praying to Him who was faithful to her.

* I no longer have guilt over some of my past sins (guilt that crippled me for a long time). I have His strength to handle situations and the desire to want to glorify Him in them.

* Everyday I have the realization that I cannot handle life's "challenges" alone; I don't have to make things better just on my own guidance. He has a plan for me; I just need to let Him "speak!" God will help me through whatever may come.

* The first thing that came to my mind was the Bible. And then I thought of the church (specifically for me, Central)- but how God promised that the gates of hell would not "prevail against" it and that is true 2,000 years later every time we meet together!

No comments:

Post a Comment