Wednesday, March 26, 2008

NEHEMIAH, Part II: No Problem Too Big with Help (Excerpts from the Giants)

Nehemiah had opportunities to become lonely or discouraged during particularly hard days of building the wall.

2. When do you feel lonely or discouraged? What strengthens you?


* My very lonely times come when I am embarrassed and ashamed or afraid to share a guilt, a sin, or a fear with others. It's always so good to share with someone human who will listen and encourage. Even with Jesus, I want a human supporter with me. (And He had his three closest friends too.)

* My loneliest times are when I don't feel like there is anyone I can share something important with- whether I am embarrassed, afraid, or whatever- whether I don't think I can trust someone, whether I just don't think they can handle my problems, I don't know- that is a very lonely feeling, though. It is the worst when I am surrounded by good people, but feel like I have to keep too much to myself.

* I can become discouraged when I’ve had too much time around other people and not enough time recharging with just me and God. I’m strengthened by getting away and having quiet time with Him, but I’m also strengthened by encouraging words from others. Those words are often lifesavers for me, and what may seem small for somebody to say often brings big help to me when I hear it.

* My loneliest times have come during times of adversity/illness/etc., when I was more isolated from my church family for one reason or another. Prayer to God and my faith in Him have been my greatest source of strength and continue to be so.

* I feel really lonely when I find myself in any kind of conflict with those closest to me. The 'human' support is so important to me, probably too much so at times. So that is where I'm trying to grow in my reliance on and trust in God.

* I feel the loneliest when I'm not in the Word and with Him in prayer. It's also hard when I'm not around Christians.

* When I find myself feeling lonesome all I have to do is think about Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, when He said "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death" (Mark 14:34). How terribly alone Jesus must have felt. Probably more alone than anyone on earth had ever felt.
Hence, the total sum of all the loneliest, most fearful, most distressing, most ill times in my life could never and will never come remotely close the loneliness Jesus must have experienced in the garden as well as the day that followed.

* As I have become older I find myself even less lonely. I am perfectly happy to be by myself. That is one of the reasons I wanted to participate in this study. I wanted a chance to get out of myself a little. It is a small step but it is a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment