Friday, March 14, 2008

MOSES: Live in Faith Zone, not Safe Zone (Excerpts from the Giants)

Moses had several key moments in his life when he had to leave his safety zone and grow into who God wanted him to be.

1. What spiritual breakthroughs have you experienced?

* In my older age, "wisdom." I have found that I don't have to forge my path through my life...if I am quiet and wait on Him, God will show me what He wants me to do. It is up to me to recognize the new way and act on it!

* Patience…We knew that God heard our pleads for a job--the right job, but we also know that God's timing and our timing can be so different.

* Understanding God’s grace…Once I began to grasp (still grasping it!) that I’m saved 100% by the grace of Jesus Christ, and that my works only come as a result of my salvation, I felt freedom. Free from unhealthy guilt. Free to have a true love relationship with the Lord.

* The breakthrough came a few weeks after being baptized at age 30 and immersing myself daily in the word… As I read the word and saw how it all fit together and fit my life I was astounded. The substance of it and of Jesus' work gripped me and has never let go even when all around me seemed to be falling down.

* My most recent "breakthrough" was when I came to really understand that I am responsible for my own salvation and must seek it with fear and trembling….While I will not be saved because of my achievements, I cannot make it to heaven on the faith of my family or friends. I have to study and nurture a deeper faith through my own study.

* As I got older, chronologically and spiritually I came to know more about the God I wanted to serve…Nowadays, I have no problem seeking God's council about anything and everything. One of my greatest joys is knowing I can talk to God any time, day or night about any subject. I'm still a work in progress, but I am well aware of who the captain of my ship is. I am ever so thankful.

2. What did you learn from the life of Moses?

* God is more creative than what I can imagine in any given moment and if I am looking to him and wanting to do what is right, even if I am too afraid to carry out his will, he can make it happen anyway- just like the way he sent Aaron to speak for Moses. I felt very loved by God that day- that he would use me in spite of my inadequacies.

* I am almost always out of my comfort zone when trying to serve and obey God in any way that means verbal communication with other people. Thank God, He gave me a good example to watch my dad step out of his comfort zone because he wanted to serve God. At 89 he is still doing it at the retirement home. What an inspiration.

* Reminded me of a conversation long ago that I believe changed my life….A friend told me that I needed to stop playing it so 'safe' in life and be more of a 'risk-taker.' ..I got involved in children's ministry at that point and it became one of the great joys and challenges in my service to God. I don't think I'd be the mother that I am today if it wasn't for the lessons I learned over the years in working with the kids….So I'm grateful for that challenge to ‘take the risk’ and the lesson from Moses about living outside the 'safe zone.'

No comments:

Post a Comment